Sunday, March 29, 2009

Algebra, Anatomy, and Awesome Hot Chocolate

Algebra

So I've been trying to firm up my May vacation plans, knowing that I wanted them to include Nice, Cinque Terre, possibly Sicily, and then of course Mallorca. With all of those cities and a lot of flexibility in terms of path and dates, figuring out the cheapest route was kind of tricky. I decided to pull out my algebra skills.

And that was without my FLY pen. I finally got it all figured out, thanks to eDreams, EasyJet, RyanAir, SNCF, and Eurolines. I'll be traveling t0 Amsterdam, Nice, Cinque Terre, and Mallorca all for under 200 euros.

Anatomy

The Our Body exhibit that's been around the states in some big cities arrived in France a few weeks ago and I finally got a chance to go see it last Saturday. So Steph and I figured out over Christmas break that bringing old people or dogs with you in line is a nice little cheat to get you to the front. Sarah knew another cheat. She brought her cute little 9 month old Penelope that she nannies. Zip zap, we cut right to the front and walked straight in. Granted she's a little HUGE for a 9 month old so we had to take turns carrying her since no stroller was allowed inside, but still def worth it.

The exibit has a whole bunch of cadavers that have been preserved with this special plastic technique and are amazingly displayed in cross-sections and other positions to really give you a peak into how it all fits together.


And this next brainy guy was appropriately positioned in front of a chess board in the Paris exhibit.


I took anatomy at BYU because they have a cadaver lab, which is rare for colleges and I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity. I learned a TON. So this exhibit wasn't all enlightening for me, but still it was a refresher. And it was in French.

Awwwesome Hot Chocolate

After relishing Angelina's hot chocolate the other week with Rebecca, I looked online for some other great places. Found one called La Jacobine, un salon de the.

I LOVE how streets in Paris are one thing in day and a whole new place at night. I'd never been down Rue St. Andre des Arts at night. Sooo cool. Just crawling with people but in a nice relaxed pace and lined with lights and delish restaurants.

La Jacobine was down a cool little ally and full of Frenchness.

There was a little glitch about the timing of when the hocho was offered. Turns out it's not at 8:30ish pm when Leah, Caitlin and I got there. So we went elsewhere down the cute alley and I dropped in the next day after my haircut. And turns out they don't offer it at noon either??? I'm still more than confused with what time that means it IS offered. Tea time? Anyway, the waiter made an exception since I was dying to try it and I had come back within a 24 hour time frame just for that reason. No disappointment. It was yuummm thick chocolate with a nice little cooling scoop of vanilla mixed in.


And my first french haircut was a success. Well I think. We'll see tomorrow when I wash it and style it my way.

No comments: