Thursday, May 14, 2009

Kristine's Time-Out Paris List

I thought I'd make some lists to remember what and where the IT spots are for shopping and eating. But would like to add a disclaimer that I wish I'd discovered more because I know there's more to discover. Most of these are probably obvious. I wish I'd had someone in the know direct me from the outset. Problem is, most of those I hung out with were other assistants like me who were getting into Paris for the first time, or churchies who seem to never do anything in Paris. I knew my way around better than they did. Shame, shame! So here goes:

Streets with good eating options
(This is often the better way to go than go to a select resto because hours are finicky, Mondays are often exception days, holiday closures are wildcards... and it's a major pain to make the trek only to find out it's not open. Soooo, call ahead to verify or just go to a street with tons of options)
  • Rue Montorgueil + Vauvilliers (Arr. 1)
  • Rue des Rosiers + Rue Vieille du Temple + Rue Pavée + Rue du Tresor (Arr. 4)
  • Rue Princesse + Rue Guissarde + Rue Cannette (Arr. 6)
  • Rue St.-André des Arts (Arr. 6)
Restos that deserve a call-out (I went ahead and all-capped the MUST VISITs for you.)
  • Cafe Marie Stuart (Seems like same old same old French menu, but presentation and taste surprises you with beauty and deliciousness.)
  • L'As du Falafel and Pitzman (yummy Jewish food)
  • Pizza Marzano (Italian sort of cali style. It's a chain BUT hear me out. The food doesn't have that chemical, lack of attention, cookie cutter chain taste. It's not amazing, but it's good. What puts it over the top is the super super friendly and charismatic servers, at least at the St. Michel location.)
  • ANGELINA(Chocolat a l'ancienne)
  • La Jacobine (Chocolat a l'ancienne with ice cream though only served at maybe 3:30 - 4:00 :-) for real! and you often have to order a full meal. Lots of rules.)
  • LADUREE (THE most gorgeous and mouth-watering patisseries you'll ever experience - macarons tie with Pierre Hermé for being best in world!)
  • PIERRE HERME (Macarons! The millefeuille is the best I've tasted too.)
  • Patrick Roger (My fav of the 7 uppity choc places I visited.)
***The following I never visited, but heard good things:
  • Le Petit Prince (Arr. 5)
  • Le Tresor (actually haven't heard, but it was on a really pretty street. A+ for setting, Arr. 4)
The Top Cheese Picks:
  • Tomme
  • Comté
  • Cantal (Jeune or Vieux)
Clothes magasins that tempted me most (I say tempted because the list below are all pretty much out of my price range, with minor exceptions. I mostly window-shopped in Paris. If you are riche, they have some beautiful and creative things. If you're middle of the road, their options are pricier and pale in comparison to San Fran color, deals, and variety, unless there were some great stores that I just never happened upon.)

Chains:
  • Sandro (all-time fav! but really really pricey)
  • Kookai
  • The Kooples
  • BA&SH
  • COS
  • Acoté
  • Et Vous
  • Comptoir des Cotonniers
  • Bellerose, on Rue du Temple (only one in Paris)
  • Princess Tam-Tam (lingerie)
  • Jonak (shoes)
  • Galleries Lafayette (department store)
Boutiques:
  • Oxyde, on Rue St. Merri
  • Kiliwatch, on Rue Etienne Marcel (2nd hand stuff and designer)
  • Osmosis, on Rue Pierre Lescot (shoes)
Shopping Streets and Areas:
  • Rue Etienne Marcel
  • Rue Rivoli (but AVOID it like the plague on Saturday or you'll go mad with crowd frenzy)
  • Rue des Rosiers, Rue du Temple, Rue St. Merri and all over the Marais

No comments: