is similar to Croatia (which Ryan and I visited a year and a half ago) but is way more touristy with super teeny towns. It’s nice seeing everyone walking down the main drag in swimsuits etc. compared to the Riviera where it was so muggy you wanted to be wearing nothing but it seemed everyone was dressed to the 9’s ready for Monte Carlo. The reason being tho is because all there is to do in the town is swim. And it’s a 3 minute walk from the train station to the harbor.
which I’m going to have to add to my top 10 favs list. It was one of those books that you miss when it’s over and wish you could linger in the book’s world a few more days. I even held off starting my next book til absolute boredom took over. The funny thing is, my mom encouraged me to read Jane Eyre when I was younger – maybe 11. And I hated the first 75 pages or so. So I gave up. Admittedly, even now, the first 50 pages were pretty depressing with unlikeable characters.Somehow when you’re 11 the idea of an 18 year old hooking up with an ANCIENT 36 year old man who’s not even handsome or charming is a pretty revolting idea. So I laugh thinking now how completely altered my opinions are. 36 seems not too old or too great a gap for an 18 year old under peculiar circumstances like these were. And romances don’t have to be limited to the cookie cutter mold of hot, suave, and rich men alongside beautiful, stylish, coquettish women. Anyway, lesson being: moms, don’t recommend your daughter read Jane Eyre until she’s at 20+. She won’t appreciate it.
Ryan and I stayed in Vernazza for 3 nights
Manarola
Which had a gorgeous vineyard hike filled with roses, poppies, grapevines of course, sunshine and great water views.
There was a pathway that connected Manarola to Riomaggiori called Alla D’Amore and it’s gained this reputation for being the lover’s link between the two towns. Everyone rights their names and confesses their love in graffit.
And I can’t even begin to tell you how utterly relaxing and refreshing it was as we felt the ocean breeze and sunshine on our little sea jaunt. The temperature and force of the wind was blissfully just right.
Monterosso
Our last day was spent in Monterosso al Mare. Again just filling our day with pizza, pasta, and sunshine. Before swimming, Ryan and I took a little walk to the edge of the harbor to get a good view of the town
And this older woman knitting under her umbrella on the beach just next to my towel was also pretty classic.
And on to Mallorca.
3 comments:
I know I should be commenting on how awesome your pictures are (which they are.) Total jealousy. I can't help mentioning I'm savoring Jane Eyre right now too.I've loved productions of it, but I never remembered loving the book itself. That is a thing of the past. No wonder Jane Eyre is a classic. LOVE it. I can't wait to hear more of your travels and to see you in person. I just read and commented on your Amsterdam posting. :) Keep up the fun and safe travels
Well. I'm glad and I'm anxious to get back and watch the BBC version of it you were telling me about :-)
If you want to stay in Jane Eyre's world, you must read "The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde. It's a fun mystery that involves the book/plot/characters of Jane Eyre.
I love Jane Eyre too:) I've see too many versions of it. Agnes Grey (by Anne Bronte) reminds me of Jane Eyre a little bit.
Post a Comment